Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is an aggressive subtype of liver cancer with few effective treatments, and the underlying mechanisms that drive HCC pathogenesis remain poorly characterized. Identifying genes and pathways essential for HCC cell growth will aid the development of new targeted therapies for HCC. Using a kinome CRISPR screen in three human HCC cell lines, we identified transformation/transcription domain-associated protein (TRRAP) as an essential gene for HCC cell proliferation. TRRAP has been implicated in oncogenic transformation, but how it functions in cancer cell proliferation is not established. Here, we show that depletion of TRRAP or its co-factor, histone acetyltransferase KAT5, inhibits HCC cell growth through induction of p53-independent and p21-independent senescence. Integrated cancer genomics analyses using patient data and RNA sequencing identified mitotic genes as key TRRAP/KAT5 targets in HCC, and subsequent cell cycle analyses revealed that TRRAP-depleted and KAT5-depleted cells are arrested at the G2/M phase. Depletion of topoisomerase II alpha (TOP2A), a mitotic gene and TRRAP/KAT5 target, was sufficient to recapitulate the senescent phenotype of TRRAP/KAT5 knockdown. Conclusion: Our results uncover a role for TRRAP/KAT5 in promoting HCC cell proliferation by activating mitotic genes. Targeting the TRRAP/KAT5 complex is a potential therapeutic strategy for HCC.
© 2019 by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.
Conflict of interest statement
TRRAP is essential for regulating the accumulation of mutant and wild-type p53 in lymphoma.Blood. 2018 Jun 21;131(25):2789-2802. doi: 10.1182/blood-2017-09-806679. Epub 2018 Apr 13. Blood. 2018. PMID: 29653964
The histone acetyltransferase component TRRAP is targeted for destruction during the cell cycle.Oncogene. 2014 Jan 9;33(2):181-92. doi: 10.1038/onc.2012.570. Epub 2013 Jan 14. Oncogene. 2014. PMID: 23318449
circLARP4 induces cellular senescence through regulating miR-761/RUNX3/p53/p21 signaling in hepatocellular carcinoma.Cancer Sci. 2019 Feb;110(2):568-581. doi: 10.1111/cas.13901. Epub 2019 Jan 4. Cancer Sci. 2019. PMID: 30520539 Free PMC article.
HAT cofactor Trrap regulates the mitotic checkpoint by modulation of Mad1 and Mad2 expression.EMBO J. 2004 Dec 8;23(24):4824-34. doi: 10.1038/sj.emboj.7600479. Epub 2004 Nov 18. EMBO J. 2004. PMID: 15549134 Free PMC article.
Genome-wide analysis of gene expression regulated by the HAT cofactor Trrap in conditional knockout cells.Nucleic Acids Res. 2003 Dec 1;31(23):7011-23. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkg902. Nucleic Acids Res. 2003. PMID: 14627834 Free PMC article.
Cited by 2 articles
Transcriptome analysis revealed key prognostic genes and microRNAs in hepatocellular carcinoma.PeerJ. 2020 Apr 8;8:e8930. doi: 10.7717/peerj.8930. eCollection 2020. PeerJ. 2020. PMID: 32296612 Free PMC article.
ZNF143 Suppresses Cell Apoptosis and Promotes Proliferation in Gastric Cancer via ROS/p53 Axis.Dis Markers. 2020 Jan 28;2020:5863178. doi: 10.1155/2020/5863178. eCollection 2020. Dis Markers. 2020. PMID: 32076462 Free PMC article.
- Z01 BC010876/ImNIH/Intramural NIH HHS/United States
- P01 HL131471/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- Z01-BC 010877/CA/NCI NIH HHS/United States
- F30 CA232657/CA/NCI NIH HHS/United States
- Lung Cancer Research Foundation
- Hyundai Hope On Wheels
- Wuhan University
- Z01 BC010313/ImNIH/Intramural NIH HHS/United States
- UG3 HL147367/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- Z01-BC 010313/CA/NCI NIH HHS/United States
- 129056-RSG-16-093/American Cancer Society
- DP2 HL137167/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- P01HL131471/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- DP2HL137167/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- Z01 BC010877/ImNIH/Intramural NIH HHS/United States
- Young Thousand Talented Program
- U24-HG009446/HG/NHGRI NIH HHS/United States
- UG3HL147367/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- Z01-BC 010876/CA/NCI NIH HHS/United States
- F30CA232657/CA/NCI NIH HHS/United States
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Association
- U24 HG009446/HG/NHGRI NIH HHS/United States