With the aim of achieving an optimal aesthetic result, implant dentistry has become a prosthetically driven procedure. Special care is being taken to focus on the details that would lead to this objective. These details may include imitating the natural teeth by harmonizing the structures around the placed implant. The prosthetic and/or surgical parts of the procedure should be performed to reach an optimal outcome. In order to minimize the resorption of hard and soft tissue, which exists around the newly extracted tooth-to create a natural emergence profile of implant born prosthesis-socket preservation procedures were introduced; however, in case of ridge deficiencies, hard and soft tissue augmentation procedures are indicated. In this article, we present a case report using a new approach in socket ridge preservation, which is the socket-shield technique (partial root retention).
Keywords: Buccal tooth fragment; GTR; extraction socket preservation; synthetic bone graft.
Conflict of interest statement
There are no conflicts of interest.
The Socket-Shield Technique and Immediate Implant PlacementMM Dayakar et al. J Indian Soc Periodontol 22 (5), 451-455. PMID 30210197. - Case ReportsHealing of extraction socket leads to the dimensional changes which will affect the placement of the implant and its emergence profile. Atraumatic extraction, socket pres …
A Methodological Approach to Assessing Alveolar Ridge Preservation Procedures in Humans: Soft Tissue ProfileV Vanhoutte et al. Clin Oral Implants Res 25 (3), 304-309. PMID 23556414.Within the limitations of this study, we found that a saddled connective tissue graft combined with a socket preservation procedure could almost completely counteract the …
Implementing Socket Seal Surgery as a Socket Preservation Technique for Pontic Site Development: Surgical Steps Revisited--A Report of Two CasesCJ Landsberg. J Periodontol 79 (5), 945-54. PMID 18454676. - Case ReportsSocket seal surgery is an efficacious procedure for ridge preservation and is effective in providing the necessary conditions for the development of functional and esthet …
Flapless Alveolar Ridge Preservation Utilizing the "Socket-Plug" Technique: Clinical Technique and Review of the LiteratureG Kotsakis et al. J Oral Implantol 40 (6), 690-8. PMID 25506661. - ReviewIt has been documented that after every extraction of one or more teeth, the alveolar bone of the respective region undergoes resorption and atrophy. Therefore, ridge pre …
[Ridge Preservation After Tooth Extraction: What Do We Know Today]T Chackartchi et al. Refuat Hapeh Vehashinayim (1993) 30 (2), 65-75, 83. PMID 24020248. - ReviewFollowing tooth removal, varying amounts of bone resorption take place due to qualitative and quantitative changes that occur at the alveolar bone around the extraction s …
- Hürzeler MB, Zuhr O, Schupbach P, Rebele SF, Emmanouilidis N, Fickl S. The socket-shield technique: A proof-of-principle report. J Clin Periodontol. 2010;37:855–62. - PubMed
- Bäumer D, Zuhr O, Rebele S, Schneider D, Schupbach P, Hürzeler M. The socket-shield technique: First histological, clinical, and volumetrical observations after separation of the buccal tooth segment—A pilot study. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2015;17:71–82. - PubMed
- Calvo-Guirado JL, Troiano M, López-López PJ, Ramírez-Fernandez MP, de Val JEMS, Marin JMG, et al. Different configuration of socket shield technique in peri-implant bone preservation: An experimental study in dog mandible. Ann Anat. 2016;208:109–15. - PubMed
- Kao R, Fagan M, Conte G. Thick vs. thin gingival biotypes: A key determinant in treatment planning for dental implants. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2008;36:193–8. - PubMed
- Dimitrijevic B, Nedic M. Preservation of alveolar bone in extraction sockets using bioabsorbable membranes. J Periodontol. 1998;69:1044–9. - PubMed