With the aim of achieving an optimal aesthetic result, implant dentistry has become a prosthetically driven procedure. Special care is being taken to focus on the details that would lead to this objective. These details may include imitating the natural teeth by harmonizing the structures around the placed implant. The prosthetic and/or surgical parts of the procedure should be performed to reach an optimal outcome. In order to minimize the resorption of hard and soft tissue, which exists around the newly extracted tooth-to create a natural emergence profile of implant born prosthesis-socket preservation procedures were introduced; however, in case of ridge deficiencies, hard and soft tissue augmentation procedures are indicated. In this article, we present a case report using a new approach in socket ridge preservation, which is the socket-shield technique (partial root retention).
Keywords: Buccal tooth fragment; GTR; extraction socket preservation; synthetic bone graft.
Conflict of interest statement
There are no conflicts of interest.
The socket-shield technique and immediate implant placement.J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2018 Sep-Oct;22(5):451-455. doi: 10.4103/jisp.jisp_240_18. J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2018. PMID: 30210197 Free PMC article.
A methodological approach to assessing alveolar ridge preservation procedures in humans: soft tissue profile.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2014 Mar;25(3):304-309. doi: 10.1111/clr.12144. Epub 2013 Apr 4. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2014. PMID: 23556414
Implementing socket seal surgery as a socket preservation technique for pontic site development: surgical steps revisited--a report of two cases.J Periodontol. 2008 May;79(5):945-54. doi: 10.1902/jop.2008.070298. J Periodontol. 2008. PMID: 18454676
Flapless alveolar ridge preservation utilizing the "socket-plug" technique: clinical technique and review of the literature.J Oral Implantol. 2014 Dec;40(6):690-8. doi: 10.1563/AAID-JOI-D-12-00028. J Oral Implantol. 2014. PMID: 25506661 Review.
[Ridge preservation after tooth extraction: what do we know today].Refuat Hapeh Vehashinayim (1993). 2013 Apr;30(2):65-75, 83. Refuat Hapeh Vehashinayim (1993). 2013. PMID: 24020248 Review. Hebrew.
- Hürzeler MB, Zuhr O, Schupbach P, Rebele SF, Emmanouilidis N, Fickl S. The socket-shield technique: A proof-of-principle report. J Clin Periodontol. 2010;37:855–62. - PubMed
- Bäumer D, Zuhr O, Rebele S, Schneider D, Schupbach P, Hürzeler M. The socket-shield technique: First histological, clinical, and volumetrical observations after separation of the buccal tooth segment—A pilot study. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2015;17:71–82. - PubMed
- Calvo-Guirado JL, Troiano M, López-López PJ, Ramírez-Fernandez MP, de Val JEMS, Marin JMG, et al. Different configuration of socket shield technique in peri-implant bone preservation: An experimental study in dog mandible. Ann Anat. 2016;208:109–15. - PubMed
- Kao R, Fagan M, Conte G. Thick vs. thin gingival biotypes: A key determinant in treatment planning for dental implants. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2008;36:193–8. - PubMed
- Dimitrijevic B, Nedic M. Preservation of alveolar bone in extraction sockets using bioabsorbable membranes. J Periodontol. 1998;69:1044–9. - PubMed