Human rabies in Brazil: a descriptive study, 2000-2017

Epidemiol Serv Saude. 2019 Jun 27;28(2):e2018275. doi: 10.5123/S1679-49742019000200001.
[Article in English, Portuguese]

Abstract

Objective: to describe the epidemiological profile of human rabies in Brazil.

Methods: this is a descriptive study of human rabies cases reported in 2000-2017, with an estimate of incidence and spatial distribution.

Results: 188 cases were studied, mostly males (66.5%), rural residents (67.0%), children under 15 years (49.6%), with biting being the most frequent form of exposure (81.9%); frequency was highest in the period 2000-2008 (85.6%), with 46.6% of cases involving dogs and 45.9% bats; median incubation was 50 days, followed by, predominantly, symptoms of fever (92.6%), agitation (85.2%), paresthesia (66.7%), and dysphagia/paralysis (51.9%); the majority (70.2%) did not have prophylaxis and for the rest (29.8%) who did have prophylaxis, it was untimely and/or incomplete; 13 patients were treated according to the Recife Protocol, and two survived.

Conclusion: human rabies incidence reduced and its epidemiological profile changed, with predominance of cases transmitted by bats; we suggest that secondary cases be investigated, and that pre-exposure prophylaxis be made available to populations at greater risk of accidents involving bats.

Objetivo: descrever o perfil epidemiológico da raiva humana no Brasil.

Métodos: estudo descritivo dos casos de raiva humana notificados em 2000-2017; estimou-se a incidência e distribuição espacial.

Resultados: 188 casos humanos observados, na maioria homens (66,5%), residentes rurais (67,0%), menores de 15 anos de idade (49,6%), com exposição mais frequente por mordedura (81,9%); o período 2000-2008 apresentou maior frequência (85,6%), com 46,6% dos casos envolvendo cães e 45,9% morcegos; incubação mediana de 50 dias, seguida de sintomatologia predominante de febre (92,6%), agitação (85,2%), parestesia (66,7%) e disfagia/paralisia (51,9%); a maioria (70,2%) não fez profilaxia, os demais (29,8%) realizaram-na de forma inoportuna e/ou incompleta; 13 pacientes foram tratados pelo Protocolo de Recife e dois sobreviveram.

Conclusão: houve redução na incidência de raiva humana e mudança no perfil epidemiológico, predominando casos transmitidos por morcegos; sugere-se investigar casos secundários e viabilizar a profilaxia pré-exposição em populações sob maior risco de acidentes com morcegos.

Objetivo: describir el perfil epidemiológico de la rabia humana en Brasil.

Métodos: descripción de los casos en 2000-2017, con estimación de la incidencia y distribución espacial.

Resultados: se observaron 188 casos humanos, la mayoría de hombres (66,5%), residentes rurales (67,0%), menores de 15 años de edad (49,6%), con exposición más frecuente por mordedura (81,9%); el período 2000-2008 presentó mayor frecuencia (85,6%), con un 46,6% de los casos involucrando a perros y 45,9% a murciélagos; la incubación promedio fue de 50 días, seguida de sintomatología predominante de fiebre (92,6%), agitación (85,2%), parestesia (66,7%) y disfagia/parálisis (51,9%); la mayoría (70,2%) no hizo profilaxis y los demás (29,8%) la realizaron de forma inoportuna y/o incompleta; se trataron 13 pacientes con el Protocolo de Recife y dos sobrevivieron.

Conclusión: hubo reducción en la incidencia de rabia humana y cambio en el perfil epidemiológico, predominando casos transmitidos por murciélagos; se sugiere investigar casos secundarios y viabilizar la profilaxis preexposición en poblaciones de mayor riesgo a accidentes por murciélagos.

MeSH terms

  • Adolescent
  • Adult
  • Aged
  • Aged, 80 and over
  • Animals
  • Bites and Stings / epidemiology*
  • Bites and Stings / virology
  • Brazil / epidemiology
  • Child
  • Child, Preschool
  • Chiroptera / virology
  • Dog Diseases / epidemiology
  • Dog Diseases / virology
  • Dogs
  • Female
  • Humans
  • Incidence
  • Infant
  • Male
  • Middle Aged
  • Post-Exposure Prophylaxis / statistics & numerical data*
  • Rabies / epidemiology*
  • Spatial Analysis
  • Young Adult