The Impact of Vibration Therapy Interventions on Skin Condition and Skin Temperature Changes in Young Women with Lipodystrophy: A Pilot Study

Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2019 May 29;2019:8436325. doi: 10.1155/2019/8436325. eCollection 2019.


Background: Cellulite affects 85-98% of women aged over 20 years. In a given context, mechanical vibrations have not been applied in the therapy of gynoid lipodystrophy (GL) until now. The aim of this pilot study was to assess the condition and temperature of skin affected by cellulite after vibration therapy interventions in young women with GL.

Methods: 10 healthy women (21.5 ± 1.5 years old) with stage 1 or 2 Nürnberger-Müller scale of severity of GL participated in the study. The subjects underwent 20 vibration interventions with the use of a Rehabilitation Massage Device Vitberg+. Vibration therapy was applied 5 times a week for 60 minutes during 4-week period. Before and after first and last interventions, grade of lipodystrophy was assessed and thermographic images were taken.

Results: Visual and palpation analysis performed before and after a series of treatments proved a total cellulite remission after the intervention among 40% of subjects (from stage 1 to stage 0). Among the remaining 60% with stage 2 of cellulite, an improvement in the skin condition was observed, and cellulite grade was determined as stage 1. The mean skin temperature in the lateral part of thigh as well as on the posterior surface of thigh and buttocks increased significantly (p<0.00001) after both the first (respectively: 4.0°C ± 0.9°C, 3.9°C ± 0.8°C) and the last vibration therapy interventions (respectively: 3.1°C ± 1.1°C, 2.8°C ± 1.1°C). After the series of interventions, a statistical significant (p=0.00705) increase in the mean skin temperature in the lateral thigh was observed-before the first treatment: 27.9°C ± 0.7°C; before twentieth treatment: 29.0°C ± 1.2°C.

Conclusion: The series of vibration interventions contributed to the reduction of GL among the participants. The thermographic imaging analysis proved an impact of both single and serial vibration interventions.