Background: An Arteriovenous fistula (AVF) is a creation of the natural blood vessels. It is a "gate of life" for the patients on hemodialysis.
Aim: The study aimed to analyze the predictors for primary failure of AVF such as gender, age, number and location of AVF, and primary renal disease in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) stage 4/5.
Material and methods: The medical records of 178 created arteriovenous fistulae in patients with CKD stage 4/5, were retrospectively studied. Primary failure of AVF was defined as thrombosis or inability for cannulation of AVF within 3 months. Adequate maturation of AVF was defined as successful cannulation of AVF treatment and blood flow of > 600 ml/min.
Results: The mean age of the patients was 59.75 ± 14.65 years, and 65.16% (116/178) were men. Adequate maturation of AVF was achieved in 83.71% (149/178). Primary failure of AVF occurred in 16.29% (29/178) of the created fistulae, while 10.11% (18/178) had early thrombosis. The distal arteriovenous fistulae were significantly more frequently created in male patients (51 vs 18; p = 0.015). The female patients were significantly older than the male patients (63.27 vs 57.86 years; p = 0.018).
Conclusion: Male gender was associated with better maturation of AVF. The age, number and location of AVF, and primary renal disease in patients with CKD stage 4/5 were not associated with primary failure of AVF.
Keywords: Arteriovenous fistula; Chronic kidney disease; Doppler ultrasound; Hemodialysis; Primary failure.
Efficiency of the Kidney Disease Outcomes Quality Initiative Guidelines for Preemptive Vascular Access in an Academic SettingTA Kimball et al. J Vasc Surg 54 (3), 760-5; discussion 765-6. PMID 21703804.Despite successful creation and maturation of a preemptive AVF in nearly two-thirds of patients who started HD during the follow-up and given the following observations: …
Relationships Between Clinical Processes and Arteriovenous Fistula Cannulation and Maturation: A Multicenter Prospective Cohort StudyM Allon et al. Am J Kidney Dis 71 (5), 677-689. PMID 29398178.Multiple processes of care and complications are associated with AVF maturation outcomes.
Effect of Far Infrared Therapy on Arteriovenous Fistula Maturation: An Open-Label Randomized Controlled TrialCC Lin et al. Am J Kidney Dis 62 (2), 304-11. PMID 23474008. - Randomized Controlled TrialFar infrared therapy improves the access flow, maturation, and patency of newly created AVFs in patients with chronic kidney disease stages 4 and 5.
Arteriovenous Fistula in Dialysis Patients: Factors Implicated in Early and Late AVF Maturation FailureK Bashar et al. Surgeon 14 (5), 294-300. PMID 26988630. - ReviewIncreasing numbers of patients are being diagnosed with end-stage renal disease (ESRD), and the demand for on haemodialysis (HD) is rising. Arteriovenous fistulae (AVFs) …
Innovative Surgical Approaches to Maximize Arteriovenous Fistula CreationS Shenoy. Semin Vasc Surg 20 (3), 141-7. PMID 17884614. - ReviewThe goal of increasing arteriovenous fistula (AVF) prevalence is to provide end stage renal disease (ESRD) patients vascular access for dialysis with low morbidity and be …
- Couser WG, Remuzzi G, Mendis S, Tonelli M. The contribution of chronic kidney disease to the global burden of major noncommunicable diseases. Kidney international. 2011;80(12):1258–70. https://doi.org/10.1038/ki.2011.368 PMid: 21993585. - PubMed
- Jha V, Garcia-Garcia G, Iseki K, et al. Chronic kidney disease: global dimension and perspectives. Lancet. 2013;382(9888):260–272. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(13)60687-X. - PubMed
- Gjorgjievski N, Stojanoska A, Smokovska A, Dejanov P, Spasovski G. Challenges Facing the Improvement of Kidney Transplantation - Issues in a Developing Country, Republic of Macedonia. Bantao. 2018;16(1):1–4.
- Brescia MJ, Cimino JE, Appel K, Hurwich BJ. Chronic hemodialysis using venipuncture and a surgically created arteriovenous fistula. N Engl J Med. 1966;275(20):108992. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM196611172752002 PMid: 5923023. - PubMed
- National Kidney Foundation. KDOQI clinical practice guidelines and clinical practice recommendations for vascular access. Am J Kidney Dis. 2006;48(suppl 1):S176–S322. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.ajkd.2006.04.029 PMid: 16813989. - PubMed