Ebola virus disease (EVD), a fatal viral hemorrhagic illness, is due to infection with the Ebola virus of the Filoviridae family. The disease has evolved as a global public health menace due to a large immigrant population. Initially, the patients present with nonspecific influenza-like symptoms and eventually terminate into shock and multiorgan failure. There exists no specific treatment protocol for EVD and only supportive and symptomatic therapy is the line of treatment. This review article provides a detailed overview of the Ebola virus; it's clinical and oral manifestations, diagnostic aids, differential diagnosis, preventive aspects, and management protocol.
Keywords: Ebola virus; oral manifestations; public health menace; symptomatic therapy.
Conflict of interest statement
There are no conflicts of interest.
An overview of Ebola virus disease.North Clin Istanb. 2015 Apr 24;2(1):81-86. doi: 10.14744/nci.2015.97269. eCollection 2015. North Clin Istanb. 2015. PMID: 28058346 Free PMC article. Review.
Ebola Virus Infection: Overview and Update on Prevention and Treatment.Infect Dis Ther. 2015 Dec;4(4):365-90. doi: 10.1007/s40121-015-0079-5. Epub 2015 Sep 12. Infect Dis Ther. 2015. PMID: 26363787 Free PMC article.
Ebola virus disease and critical illness.Crit Care. 2016 Jul 29;20(1):217. doi: 10.1186/s13054-016-1325-2. Crit Care. 2016. PMID: 27468829 Free PMC article. Review.
Treatment of ebola virus disease.Pharmacotherapy. 2015 Jan;35(1):43-53. doi: 10.1002/phar.1545. Pharmacotherapy. 2015. PMID: 25630412 Review.
A review on the antagonist Ebola: A prophylactic approach.Biomed Pharmacother. 2017 Dec;96:1513-1526. doi: 10.1016/j.biopha.2017.11.103. Epub 2017 Dec 6. Biomed Pharmacother. 2017. PMID: 29208326 Review.
- Arinola AA, Joel SA, Tubosun OE, Folagbade OA. Ebola virus disease (EVD) information awareness among the people of Ogbomoso Environs. Int J Library Information Sci. 2015;4:55–69.
- Rajak H, Jain DK, Singh A, Sharma AK, Dixit A. Ebola virus disease: Past, present and future. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed. 2015;5:337–43.
- Rabiah M, Khan A, Fatima M, Ashfaq M, Chaudhry HW, Zafar M. Knowledge and awareness of ebola virus disease among medical students. Pak J Med Health Sci. 2015;9:852–5.
- Yobsan D, Walkite F, Nesradin Y. Ebola virus and it's public health significance: A review. J Vet Sci Res. 2018;3:1–10.
- Daral S, Singh SK, Khokhar A. Ebola virus: Awareness about the disease and personal protective measures among junior doctors of a tertiary hospital in Delhi, India. Int J Med Public Health. 2015;5:217–21.