Redox control is lost when the antioxidant defense system cannot remove abnormally high concentrations of signaling molecules, such as reactive oxygen species (ROS). Chronically elevated levels of ROS cause oxidative stress that may eventually lead to cancer and cardiovascular and neurodegenerative diseases. In this review, we focus on redox effects in the vascular system. We pay close attention to the subcompartments of the vascular system (endothelium, smooth muscle cell layer) and give an overview of how redox changes influence those different compartments. We also review the core aspects of redox biology, cardiovascular physiology, and pathophysiology. Moreover, the topic-specific knowledgebase DES-RedoxVasc was used to develop two case studies, one focused on endothelial cells and the other on the vascular smooth muscle cells, as a starting point to possibly extend our knowledge of redox control in vascular biology.
Keywords: cardiovascular diseases; cardiovascular system; reactive oxygen species; redox.
© 2019 The Authors. BioFactors published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
Conflict of interest statement
The authors declare no potential conflict of interest.
Literature-Based Enrichment Insights into Redox Control of Vascular Biology.Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2019 May 16;2019:1769437. doi: 10.1155/2019/1769437. eCollection 2019. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2019. PMID: 31223421 Free PMC article. Review.
Redox signaling in cardiovascular pathophysiology: A focus on hydrogen peroxide and vascular smooth muscle cells.Redox Biol. 2016 Oct;9:244-253. doi: 10.1016/j.redox.2016.08.015. Epub 2016 Aug 26. Redox Biol. 2016. PMID: 27591403 Free PMC article. Review.
Reactive oxygen species as mediators of calcium signaling by angiotensin II: implications in vascular physiology and pathophysiology.Antioxid Redox Signal. 2005 Sep-Oct;7(9-10):1302-14. doi: 10.1089/ars.2005.7.1302. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2005. PMID: 16115036 Review.
Redox signaling in hypertension.Cardiovasc Res. 2006 Jul 15;71(2):247-58. doi: 10.1016/j.cardiores.2006.05.001. Epub 2006 May 9. Cardiovasc Res. 2006. PMID: 16765337 Review.
Redox signaling regulated by electrophiles and reactive sulfur species.J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2016 Mar;58(2):91-8. doi: 10.3164/jcbn.15-111. Epub 2016 Feb 17. J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2016. PMID: 27013774 Free PMC article. Review.
Cited by 2 articles
The Imbalance among Oxidative Biomarkers and Antioxidant Defense Systems in Thromboangiitis Obliterans (Winiwarter-Buerger Disease).J Clin Med. 2020 Apr 7;9(4):1036. doi: 10.3390/jcm9041036. J Clin Med. 2020. PMID: 32272606 Free PMC article.
MiR155-5p Inhibits Cell Migration and Oxidative Stress in Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells of Spontaneously Hypertensive Rats.Antioxidants (Basel). 2020 Mar 1;9(3):204. doi: 10.3390/antiox9030204. Antioxidants (Basel). 2020. PMID: 32121598 Free PMC article.
- Paravicini TM, Touyz RM. Redox signaling in hypertension. Cardiovasc Res. 2006;71:247–258. - PubMed
- Incalza MA, D'Oria R, Natalicchio A, Perrini S, Laviola L, et al. Oxidative stress and reactive oxygen species in endothelial dysfunction associated with cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Vascul Pharmacol. 2018;100:1–19. - PubMed
- Khazaei M, Moien‐Afshari F, Laher I. Vascular endothelial function in health and diseases. Pathophysiology. 2008;15:49–67. - PubMed
- FCC/1/1976-17-01/KAUST Office of Sponsored Research
- FCC/1/1976-24-01/KAUST Office of Sponsored Research
- BAS/1/1606-01-01/King Abdullah University of Science and Technology Base Research Fund
- 173034/Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development, Republic of Serbia