Cleft lip and palate (CLP) are commonly occurring birth defects which occur due to failure of fusion of various developmental processes of the face, leading to a visible defect in the lip and palate. In severe cases, this defect may extend over the face, thus causing facial clefts. The present case of a 7-year-old girl is unique in the sense that she has right and left side facial clefts of different severity with bilateral accessory maxilla, extra set of dentition, unilateral CLP of the right side, and a double soft palate. Other less associated findings in the case are severe maxillary protrusion, complex open bite, downward and backward rotation of mandible, and incompetent lips with apparently no limb deformities. With some relevant data in hand, we present this case for various suggestions and best possible treatment plan.
Keywords: Accessory maxilla; open bite; orofacial cleft; unilateral cleft lip and palate.
Copyright: © 2019 National Journal of Maxillofacial Surgery.
Conflict of interest statement
There are no conflicts of interest.
Soft-tissue profile growth in patients with repaired complete unilateral cleft lip and palate: A cephalometric comparison with normal controls at ages 7, 11, and 18 years.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2014 Mar;145(3):341-58. doi: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2013.11.018. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2014. PMID: 24582026
Multivariate comparison of craniofacial morphology in different types of facial clefts.Acta Chir Plast. 1999;41(2):59-65. Acta Chir Plast. 1999. PMID: 10439520
Frequencies of Different Types of Cleft Lip, Cleft Lip with Palate and Cleft Palate in Bangladeshi Children.Mymensingh Med J. 2019 Oct;28(4):833-838. Mymensingh Med J. 2019. PMID: 31599248
How various surgical protocols of the unilateral cleft lip and palate influence the facial growth and possible orthodontic problems? Which is the best timing of lip, palate and alveolus repair? literature review.Stomatologija. 2014;16(2):53-60. Stomatologija. 2014. PMID: 25209227 Review.
Lateral or oblique facial clefts associated with accessory maxillae: Review of the literature and report of a case.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2015 Jun;43(5):585-92. doi: 10.1016/j.jcms.2015.02.008. Epub 2015 Mar 13. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2015. PMID: 25862344 Review.
- Sperber GH, Sperber SM. Embryogenetics of cleft lip and palate. In: Berkiwitz S, editor. Cleft Lip Palate Diagnosis Manag. 3rd ed. New York: Springer Heidelberg; 2013.
- Tessier P. Anatomical classification facial, cranio-facial and latero-facial clefts. J Maxillofac Surg. 1976;4:69–92. - PubMed
- Borzabadi-Farahani A, Rcs M, Yen SL, Yamashita DD, Sanchez-Lara PA. Bilateral maxillary duplication: Case report and literature review. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2012;113:e29–32. - PubMed
- Sjamsudin J, David D, Singh GD. An Indonesian child with orofacial duplication and neurocristopathy anomalies: Case report. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2001;29:195–7. - PubMed
- Kawamoto HK., Jr The kaleidoscopic world of rare craniofacial clefts: Order out of chaos (Tessier classification) Clin Plast Surg. 1976;3:529–72. - PubMed