Electronic cigarette use among heart failure patients: Findings from the Population Assessment of Tobacco and Health study (Wave 1: 2013-2014)

Heart Lung. 2020 May-Jun;49(3):229-232. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2019.11.006. Epub 2019 Dec 5.

Abstract

Background: Smoking cessation is recommended for adults with heart failure (HF). The prevalence of e-cigarette use among adults with HF is unknown.

Objective: To determine prevalence of and reasons for e-cigarette use among adults with HF.

Methods: Data from the Population Assessment of Tobacco and Health Study (Wave 1) were examined.

Results: Of 484 respondents with HF, 1% (weighted) reported current e-cigarette use, and 5% (weighted) reported dual cigarette/e-cigarette use. Adults with HF had higher odds of dual use (OR = 1.76, 95% CI: 1.22-2.54) compared to those without HF, controlling for age, sex, race, and income. Dual users with HF reported using e-cigarettes because they may be less harmful to nearby people and to themselves than cigarettes.

Conclusions: E-cigarette use should be assessed and monitored to understand the safety and potential efficacy of e-cigarettes as a harm reduction approach for HF patients.

Keywords: Electronic nicotine delivery systems; Heart failure; Smoking.

Publication types

  • Research Support, N.I.H., Extramural

MeSH terms

  • Adult
  • Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems*
  • Heart Failure* / epidemiology
  • Humans
  • Smoking Cessation*
  • Tobacco
  • Vaping*