Mesenchymal stromal cells and their derivatives - putative therapeutics in the management of autoimmune pancreatitis

FEBS Open Bio. 2020 Jun;10(6):969-978. doi: 10.1002/2211-5463.12866. Epub 2020 May 13.


Autoimmune pancreatitis, a derivative of chronic pancreatitis, frequently causes acute episodes with clinical symptoms parallel to those of acute pancreatitis. Corticosteroids are effective in the treatment of 90% of autoimmune pancreatitis cases, but for the remaining 10%, options are limited. Due to their significant immunomodulatory capabilities, mesenchymal stromal cells (MSCs) have been proposed as a novel treatment strategy for various immune and inflammatory pathologies including those with autoimmune origins. Here, we not only highlight the most recent MSC live-cell experiments to address acute pancreatitis, but also discuss the opportunities afforded by the emergence of the newly identified field of MSC necrobiology. We conclude that the putative employment of MSC derivatives provides a newer and simpler therapeutic approach that could have significant advantages over the use of cells themselves.

Keywords: MSC derivatives; MSC necrobiology; acute episodes; anti-inflammatory; autoimmune pancreatitis; mesenchymal stromal cells.

Publication types

  • Review

MeSH terms

  • Animals
  • Apoptosis / immunology
  • Autoimmune Pancreatitis / immunology
  • Autoimmune Pancreatitis / therapy*
  • Autophagy / immunology
  • Disease Models, Animal
  • Extracellular Vesicles / transplantation
  • Humans
  • Immunotherapy / methods*
  • Mesenchymal Stem Cell Transplantation*
  • Mesenchymal Stem Cells / cytology
  • Mesenchymal Stem Cells / metabolism
  • Mitochondria / transplantation
  • Pancreatitis, Chronic / complications
  • Pancreatitis, Chronic / immunology*
  • Pancreatitis, Chronic / therapy