Aim: The COVID-19 pandemic caused by the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) has put health care workers at risk when exposed to aerosolized viral particles during upper airway mucosal surgery. The objective of this review was to discuss topical preparations that could be utilized preoperatively to help to decrease viral load and potentially reduce the risks of viral transmission.
Methods: A PubMed/MEDLINE database review of articles was performed querying topical preparations with virucidal activity against coronaviruses.
Results: Povidone-iodine (PVP-I) solutions ranging from 0.23% to 7% have been found to demonstrate highly effective virucidal activity against a broad range of viruses including several coronaviruses responsible for recent epidemics including SARS-CoV-1 and MERS-CoV.
Conclusions: While specific evidence regarding SARS-CoV-2 is lacking, PVP-I-based preparations have been successfully demonstrated to reduce viral loads of coronaviruses. They are relatively safe to use in the upper airway and may reduce risk of SARS-CoV-2 aerosolization during upper airway mucosal surgery.
Keywords: COVID-19; SARS-CoV-2; coronavirus; head and neck cancer; safety.
© 2020 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Coronavirus Disease 2019: Coronaviruses and Blood Safety.Transfus Med Rev. 2020 Feb 21. doi: 10.1016/j.tmrv.2020.02.003. Online ahead of print. Transfus Med Rev. 2020. PMID: 32107119 Free PMC article. Review.
Focus on Receptors for Coronaviruses with Special Reference to Angiotensin-converting Enzyme 2 as a Potential Drug Target - A Perspective.Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets. 2020 Apr 27. doi: 10.2174/1871530320666200427112902. Online ahead of print. Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets. 2020. PMID: 32338224
Features, Evaluation and Treatment Coronavirus (COVID-19).2020 Apr 6. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2020 Jan–. StatPearls. 2020 Jan–. PMID: 32150360 Free Books & Documents. Review.
Broad-spectrum coronavirus antiviral drug discovery.Expert Opin Drug Discov. 2019 Apr;14(4):397-412. doi: 10.1080/17460441.2019.1581171. Epub 2019 Mar 8. Expert Opin Drug Discov. 2019. PMID: 30849247 Free PMC article. Review.
The Indian perspective of COVID-19 outbreak.Virusdisease. 2020 May 4:1-8. doi: 10.1007/s13337-020-00587-x. Online ahead of print. Virusdisease. 2020. PMID: 32368570 Free PMC article. Review.
- Chang D, Xu H, Rebaza A, Sharma L, Dela Cruz CS. Protecting health-care workers from subclinical coronavirus infection. Lancet Respir Med. 2020;8(3):e13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(20)30066-7.
- Zou L, Ruan F, Huang M, et al. SARS-CoV-2 viral load in upper respiratory specimens of infected patients. N Engl J Med. 2020;382(12):1177-1179. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMc2001737.
- Lu D, Wang H, Yu R, Yang H, Zhao Y. Integrated infection control strategy to minimize nosocomial infection of coronavirus disease 2019 among ENT healthcare workers. J Hosp Infect. 2020;104:454-455. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2020.02.018.
- van Doremalen N, Bushmaker T, Morris DH, et al. Aerosol and surface stability of SARS-CoV-2 as compared with SARS-CoV-1. N Engl J Med. 2020;382:1564-1567. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMc2004973.
- Ong SWX, Tan YK, Chia PY, et al. Air, surface environmental, and personal protective equipment contamination by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) from a symptomatic patient. JAMA. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.3227.