The Baltimore pregnancy prevention program for urban teenagers. I. How did it work?

Fam Plann Perspect. Jul-Aug 1988;20(4):182-7.

Abstract

Two teams, each consisting of a social worker and a nurse, delivered the bulk of services in an experimental pregnancy prevention program for junior and senior high school students that combined school and clinic components. In-school components were classroom presentations, informal discussion groups and individual counseling; clinic services consisted of group education, individual counseling and reproductive health care. Eight-five percent of the total student enrollment had contact with at least one component of the program. More males than females were among the 15 percent with no contact. When estimates of chronic absenteeism are taken into account, the program is believed to have reached all students in regular attendance. Approximately 22 percent of staff-student contacts occurred in the classroom, and the remaining 78 percent were voluntary on the part of the student. About 68 percent of contacts occurred within the school, with small group discussions especially popular--they represented 41 percent of all contacts. The proportion of contacts that occurred in the clinic was highest among senior high females (46 percent) and lowest among senior high males (12 percent).

Publication types

  • Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

MeSH terms

  • Adolescent
  • Family Planning Services*
  • Female
  • Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
  • Humans
  • Male
  • Maryland
  • Peer Group
  • Pregnancy
  • Pregnancy in Adolescence*
  • Sex Education*
  • Urban Population*