Mutation spectrum of congenital heart disease in a consanguineous Turkish population

Mol Genet Genomic Med. 2022 Jun;10(6):e1944. doi: 10.1002/mgg3.1944. Epub 2022 Apr 28.


Backgrounds: While many studies agree that consanguinity increases the rate of congenital heart disease (CHD), few genome analyses have been conducted with consanguineous CHD cohorts.

Methods: We recruited 73 CHD probands from consanguineous families in Turkey and used whole-exome sequencing (WES) to identify genetic lesions in these patients.

Results: On average, each patient had 6.95 rare damaging homozygous variants, 0.68 of which are loss-of-function (LoF) variants. Seven patients (9.6%) carried damaging homozygous variants in five causal CHD genes. Six of those patients exhibited laterality defects (six HTX and one D-TGA). Three additional patients (4.1%) harbored other types of CHD-associated genomic alterations, which overall explained 13.7% (10/73) of the cohort. The contribution from recessive variants in our cohort is higher than 1.8% reported from a cohort of 2871 CHD subjects where 5.6% of subjects met the criteria for consanguinity.

Conclusions: Our WES screen of a Turkish consanguineous population with structural CHD revealed its unique genetic architecture. Six of seven damaging homozygous variants in CHD causal genes occur in the setting of laterality defects implies a strong contribution from consanguinity to these defects specifically. Our study thus provided valuable information about the genetic landscape of CHD in consanguineous families in Turkey.

Keywords: congenital heart disease; consanguinity; genetics; mutation.

Publication types

  • Research Support, N.I.H., Extramural
  • Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

MeSH terms

  • Consanguinity
  • Exome Sequencing
  • Heart Defects, Congenital* / genetics
  • Humans
  • Mutation
  • Turkey