Autonomic hyperreflexia during cystoscopy in patients with high spinal cord injuries

Paraplegia. 1978 Feb;15(4):327-32. doi: 10.1038/sc.1977.49.


Cystoscopic procedures were performed on 102 patients with histories of traumatic spinal cord lesion; 57 patients had sensorimotor levels above T7, and the remaining 45 patients had levels below T7. In 40 of the 57 patients (70 per cent) with levels above T7, signs and symptoms of autonomic hyperreflexia were seen during bladder distension and cystoscopy; the remaining 17 of these patients (30 per cent) did not have this response. No autonomic hyperreflexia was seen during cystoscopy in any of the 45 patients with sensorimotor levels below T7.

MeSH terms

  • Adolescent
  • Adult
  • Autonomic Nervous System / physiopathology
  • Blood Pressure
  • Child
  • Cystoscopy*
  • Female
  • Humans
  • Male
  • Middle Aged
  • Reflex, Abnormal / etiology*
  • Spinal Cord Injuries / complications*
  • Spinal Cord Injuries / diagnosis
  • Spinal Cord Injuries / physiopathology