Diet and health

West J Med. 1984 Dec;141(6):872-7.


The role of diet in personal health maintenance is important whether a person is trying to stay healthy or to treat diet-related diseases such as hypercholesterolemia, hypertension, diabetes mellitus or obesity. Dietary recommendations include limiting fat to 30% and protein to 20% of total calories, with the remaining 50% coming from carbohydrate. Maintaining dietary changes for long periods is very difficult for many persons. Specific self-management skills may ease the task.

MeSH terms

  • Cardiovascular Diseases / prevention & control*
  • Diabetes Mellitus / diet therapy
  • Diet*
  • Dietary Carbohydrates / administration & dosage
  • Dietary Fats / administration & dosage
  • Food
  • Humans
  • Hyperlipidemias / diet therapy
  • Hypertension / diet therapy
  • Obesity / prevention & control


  • Dietary Carbohydrates
  • Dietary Fats