Infection in wounds sutured in the accident and emergency department

Ann Emerg Med. 1980 Jul;9(7):350-2. doi: 10.1016/s0196-0644(80)80110-7.


We describe a prospective follow-up study on suturing the wounds of 500 patients treated consecutively in an accident and emergency department. Results were established for 485 patients. Severe infection occurred in 2.47% of patients and there was redness and swelling, possibly from infection, in 4.53%, for a total of 7% of patients with signs of inflammation. The results are compared with previous studies and the techniques and problems of suturing wounds in the accident and emergency department are discussed.

MeSH terms

  • Accidents
  • Anti-Bacterial Agents / therapeutic use
  • Emergency Service, Hospital
  • Follow-Up Studies
  • Humans
  • Northern Ireland
  • Prospective Studies
  • Suture Techniques
  • Sutures*
  • Wound Infection / epidemiology*
  • Wound Infection / prevention & control
  • Wounds, Penetrating / surgery*


  • Anti-Bacterial Agents