Primary care and accident and emergency departments in an urban area

J R Coll Gen Pract. 1981 Apr;31(225):223-30.

Abstract

During one year all initial attendance from one Belfast general practice to local accident and emergency departments was studied. Of the 784 attenders, 616 (78.4 per cent) referred themselves; the remaining 168 (21.6 per cent) were referred by the general practitioners. The clinical and social characteristics of both groups are compared. The discussion focuses on the appropriate use of primary care and accident and emergency services.

MeSH terms

  • Adolescent
  • Adult
  • Aged
  • Child
  • Child, Preschool
  • Emergency Service, Hospital / statistics & numerical data*
  • Family Practice
  • Female
  • Health*
  • Humans
  • Infant
  • Infant, Newborn
  • Male
  • Middle Aged
  • Northern Ireland
  • Primary Health Care*
  • Referral and Consultation
  • Urban Health*