Assessment and management of fetal agenesis of the corpus callosum

Prenat Diagn. 1995 Apr;15(4):301-12. doi: 10.1002/pd.1970150402.


Prenatal counselling for fetal agenesis of the corpus callosum is difficult as the prognosis until now has been so uncertain. We have reviewed the current world English literature to provide the best probabilistic information for prospective parents. In total, there are 70 cases where the diagnosis was made prenatally. The diagnosis of apparently isolated agenesis of the corpus callosum (in the absence of other sonographically detectable anomalies) appears to carry an excellent prognosis, with an 85 per cent chance of a normal developmental outcome and a 15 per cent risk of handicap. Fetal karyotyping is recommended as there is a 1 in 10 risk of aneuploidy. If other anomalies are detected prenatally, the outcome is very poor. Termination of pregnancy is advised in these circumstances.

Publication types

  • Review

MeSH terms

  • Abnormalities, Multiple / diagnosis*
  • Agenesis of Corpus Callosum*
  • Corpus Callosum / embryology
  • Female
  • Fetal Diseases / diagnosis*
  • Humans
  • Pregnancy
  • Pregnancy Outcome
  • Prenatal Diagnosis*
  • Syndrome