A randomised trial of home-versus-hospital management for patients with suspected myocardial infarction

Lancet. 1978 Apr 22;1(8069):837-41. doi: 10.1016/s0140-6736(78)90190-3.

Abstract

Home and hospital management of patients with suspected myocardial infarction were compared in a randomised trial in which a hospital-based team responded to calls from general practitioners. 500 calls were received, and 349 patients (70%) were suspected of having myocardial infarction. Of these, 24% were excluded from the trial on predetermined medical and social grounds; for the remainder (76%) there was no significant difference in the 6-week mortality between the home group (13%) and the hospital group (11%). For the majority of patients to whom a general practitioner is called because of suspected infarction, hospital admission confers no clear advantage.

Publication types

  • Clinical Trial
  • Comparative Study
  • Randomized Controlled Trial

MeSH terms

  • Adult
  • Aged
  • Clinical Trials as Topic
  • Coronary Care Units
  • England
  • Evaluation Studies as Topic
  • Home Care Services*
  • Hospitalization*
  • House Calls
  • Humans
  • Male
  • Middle Aged
  • Mobile Health Units
  • Myocardial Infarction / mortality
  • Myocardial Infarction / therapy*
  • Patient Admission
  • Random Allocation
  • Time Factors