Inclusion of women and minorities in occupational cancer epidemiologic research

J Occup Med. 1994 Aug;36(8):842-7.


A survey of published epidemiologic studies from eight journals during 1971 to 1990 was conducted to assess the proportion and characteristics of occupational cancer studies that have included women and minorities. A total of 1233 reports included 562 (46%) with subjects limited to white men. The remaining 671 (54%) had subjects from other race-gender groups. Thirty-five percent included white women, but only 14% presented any analyses of white women specifically and only 7% presented more than five risk estimates. The proportions with analyses of nonwhite women (any = 2%; detailed = 1%) or men (any = 7%; detailed = 3%) were also small. Studies with detailed analyses of women and minorities tended to use weaker methodologies (ie, proportionate mortality or cross-sectional design) than the studies of white men and were less able to provide convincing data on the occupational cancer risks of women and minorities.

MeSH terms

  • Epidemiologic Methods*
  • Female
  • Humans
  • Male
  • Minority Groups*
  • Neoplasms / epidemiology*
  • Occupational Diseases / epidemiology*
  • Periodicals as Topic
  • Research
  • United States
  • Women's Health
  • Women, Working*