Flaxseed and its lignan and oil components reduce mammary tumor growth at a late stage of carcinogenesis

Carcinogenesis. 1996 Jun;17(6):1373-6. doi: 10.1093/carcin/17.6.1373.


Flaxseed, a rich source of mammalian lignan precursor secoisolariciresinol-diglycoside (S.D.) and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), has been shown to be protective at the early promotion stage of carcinogenesis. The objective of this study was to determine whether supplementation with flaxseed, its lignan or oil fractions, beginning 13 weeks after carcinogen administration, would reduce the size of established mammary tumors (present at the start of treatment) and appearance of new tumors in rats. Dietary groups consisted of the basal diet (BD, 20% corn oil) alone or supplemented with a gavage of 2200 nmol/day S.D. [S.D., equal to level in 5% flaxseed (F)], 1.82% flaxseed oil (OIL, equal to level in 5% F) or 2.5% or 5% flaxseed (2.5% F and 5% F, respectively). After 7 weeks of treatment, established tumor volume was over 50% smaller in all treatment groups (OIL, 2.5% F, 5% F, P < 0.04; S.D., P < 0.08) while there was no change in the BD group. New tumor number and volume were lowest in the S.D. (P < 0.02) and 2.5% F (P < 0.07) groups. The combined established and new tumor volumes were smaller for the S.D., 2.5% F and 5% F groups (P < 0.02) compared to the OIL and BD groups. The high negative correlation (r = -0.997, P < 0.001) between established tumor volume and urinary mammalian lignan excretion in the BD, S.D., 2.5% F and 5% F groups indicates that the reduction in tumor size is due in part to the lignans derived from the S.D. in flaxseed. However, there was no relationship between new or total tumor development and urinary lignan levels. The effect of flaxseed oil may be related to its high ALA content. In conclusion, the S.D. in flaxseed appears to be beneficial throughout the promotional phase of carcinogenesis whereas the oil component is more effective at the stage when tumors have already been established.

Publication types

  • Comparative Study
  • Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

MeSH terms

  • Animals
  • Antineoplastic Agents, Phytogenic / pharmacology*
  • Antineoplastic Agents, Phytogenic / urine
  • Butylene Glycols / pharmacology*
  • Butylene Glycols / urine
  • Carcinogens
  • Cell Division / drug effects
  • Female
  • Glucosides / pharmacology*
  • Glucosides / urine
  • Lignans / pharmacology*
  • Lignans / urine
  • Mammary Neoplasms, Experimental / chemically induced
  • Mammary Neoplasms, Experimental / drug therapy*
  • Mammary Neoplasms, Experimental / urine
  • Rats
  • Rats, Sprague-Dawley
  • Seeds*


  • Antineoplastic Agents, Phytogenic
  • Butylene Glycols
  • Carcinogens
  • Glucosides
  • Lignans
  • secoisolariciresinol diglucoside