Heterogeneity of in vitro chemosensitivity in perioperative breast cancer cells to mitoxantrone versus doxorubicin evaluated by a microplate ATP bioluminescence assay

Breast Cancer Res Treat. 1996;41(2):161-70. doi: 10.1007/BF01807161.

Abstract

Apart from clinical trials, mitoxantrone (MX) is rarely used in breast cancer (BC) due to the anticipated anthracycline cross-resistance. We have examined this drug versus doxorubicin (DOX) using data obtained from in vitro microplate ATP tumor chemosensitivity assays (ATP-TCA) of BC cells which were derived from 55 chemotherapy-naive patients at time of primary surgery. Both drugs were tested at 6 different concentrations ranging from 6.25% to 200% peak plasma concentration in vivo (PPC). Differences between DOX and MX observed for mean IC50, IC90, and a sensitivity index (SI) were not statistically significant. In vitro response rates were 44% for DOX and 52% for MX. 34 of 52 eligible assays (65%) showed comparable activity of both drugs whereas a lack of cross-resistance was observed in the remaining 18 (35%) tumors as indicated by differences for SI. Cumulative concentration-response plots of tumors responding in vitro with a > or = 50 percent or > or = 90 percent tumor cell inhibition showed a strong dose-dependence for both DOX and MX at concentrations which normally can be achieved within clinical tumors (i.e. 6.25%-50% PPC). At higher concentrations, however, cytotoxicity of DOX and MX could not be improved by further in vitro dose escalation. Moreover, a substantial proportion of BC specimens (DOX: 48.1%; MX: 40.4%) did not experience a > or = 90 tumor cell inhibition at 200% PPC. In conclusion, in vitro results obtained by ATP-TCA indicate that there is no cross-resistance between MX and DOX in a substantial proportion of BC patients. This may be clinically useful and suggests that combinations including MX should be tested in patients clinically resistant to DOX containing regimens. Since both drugs produced sigmoidal concentration-response curves, dose escalation beyond a certain point may not produce increased sensitivity.

MeSH terms

  • Adenosine Triphosphate / analysis*
  • Adult
  • Aged
  • Aged, 80 and over
  • Antibiotics, Antineoplastic / pharmacology*
  • Antineoplastic Agents / pharmacology*
  • Breast Neoplasms / drug therapy*
  • Breast Neoplasms / surgery
  • Doxorubicin / pharmacology*
  • Drug Screening Assays, Antitumor
  • Evaluation Studies as Topic
  • Female
  • Humans
  • Kinetics
  • Luminescent Measurements*
  • Middle Aged
  • Mitoxantrone / pharmacology*
  • Reagent Kits, Diagnostic

Substances

  • Antibiotics, Antineoplastic
  • Antineoplastic Agents
  • Reagent Kits, Diagnostic
  • Doxorubicin
  • Adenosine Triphosphate
  • Mitoxantrone