Long-term survival and quality of life in patients treated with a national all protocol 15-20 years earlier: IDM/HDM and late effects?

Pediatr Hematol Oncol. Nov-Dec 1997;14(6):513-24. doi: 10.3109/08880019709030908.

Abstract

In a follow-up matched control study the 93 (70.5%) survivors of 132 children treated with a national protocol for acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) and 5 survivors of the other 21 cases of ALL in childhood diagnosed in the same period were evaluated. Thus it was also a population-based study. The national treatment protocol was used in the period 1975-1980. Methotrexate (MTX) infusions combined with intrathecal MTX were used as prophylaxis against neuroleukemia instead of irradiation. Neither doxorubicin (Adriamycin) nor cyclophosphamide was used in the protocol. A questionnaire covering demographic data, number of offspring, learning problems, level of athletic performance, education, and work status as well as medical information was used. Forms were received from 94 (96%) of the 98 adult surviving cases and corresponding controls in the family. Interviews were performed in the remaining four cases (4%). There were no statistical differences between the two groups with respect to physical and mental health and quality of life. Hospital records of all patients were also checked for possible late effects. There was no definite case of secondary malignant neoplasm; however, there was one case of prolactinoma and only one case of serious sequelae (hemiparesis during therapy), probably due to intrathecal and intravenous MTX.

Publication types

  • Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

MeSH terms

  • Adolescent
  • Adult
  • Child
  • Child, Preschool
  • Female
  • Follow-Up Studies
  • Humans
  • Male
  • Precursor Cell Lymphoblastic Leukemia-Lymphoma / drug therapy*
  • Precursor Cell Lymphoblastic Leukemia-Lymphoma / mortality
  • Precursor Cell Lymphoblastic Leukemia-Lymphoma / psychology
  • Quality of Life
  • Survival Rate