This guideline covers the management of persistent or recurrent low back pain defined as non-specific low back pain that has lasted for more than 6 weeks, but for less than 12 months. It does not address the management of severe disabling low back pain that has lasted longer than 12 months.
Copyright © 2009, Royal College of General Practitioners.
- Key priorities for implementation
- Guideline recommendations: All recommendations are repeated within the relevant chapter
- Assessment and Imaging of non-specific low-back pain
- Information, education and patient treatment preferences
- Physical activity and exercise
- Manual therapy
- Other non-pharmacological therapies
- Invasive Procedures
- Psychological interventions and mixed packages of care (combined physical and psychological interventions)
- Pharmacological therapies
- Indications for referral for surgery
Will this patient develop persistent disabling low back pain?JAMA. 2010 Apr 7;303(13):1295-302. doi: 10.1001/jama.2010.344. JAMA. 2010. PMID: 20371789 Review.
[Update on Current Care Guideline: Low back pain].Duodecim. 2015;131(1):92-4. Duodecim. 2015. PMID: 26245063 Review. Finnish.
Low Back Pain and Sciatica in Over 16s: Assessment and Management.London: National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (UK); 2016 Nov. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (UK). 2016. PMID: 27929617 Free Books & Documents. Review.
Yoga Treatment for Chronic Non-Specific Low Back Pain (2017).Explore (NY). 2017 Jul-Aug;13(4):281-284. doi: 10.1016/j.explore.2017.04.018. Epub 2017 Apr 22. Explore (NY). 2017. PMID: 28688789
Combined oral contraceptives do not increase the risk of back and pelvic pain during pregnancy or after delivery.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2000 Nov;79(11):979-83. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2000. PMID: 11081684